Q: car over heated

My red temperature light was flashing on and off but did not stay on constantly. Tonight I went to buy gas and it came on I needed coolant so I added 50/50.I put it in with the car running as a guy from work told me that is what I should do After doing so I seen some fluid on the ground but figured it was from me pouring it in. I sat for about 15 mins with the car on waiting for my daughter the car had a little steam coming from under the hood I didn't think much about it I figured it was from me pouring it in. As we started to drive the car seemed a litter distressed when we stopped at the stop light the car died with more visible steam. The car restrated and I drove to where I could safely stop. At this point steam was rolling out as if it were on fire. I turned the car off and left it. We are going to get it in the morning. What might the problem be?

You will need to inspect your radiator to make sure it’s not leaking from there and then inspect the hoses. You could have something as small as a bad thermostat or something as big as a bad water pump. I have done water pumps on your type of car before and to my understanding, they are a very faulty part. If you are going to replace the part yourself, you will have to do the following steps.

1. Unbolt the engine mounts on the passenger side
  2. Lower engine
  3. Take off serpentine belt
  4. Take off covers for engine
  5. Take off timing belt
  6. Unbolt water pump

I hope this helps. If it does turn out to be your water pump, do not drive your car without having it replaced. It’s definitely not good for your vehicle.

If you still need help looking into your overheating issue, YourMechanic can send you a certified mechanic that will help investigate the issue at your home or place of work.

3. car over heated