Q: Car only runs when it is jump-started - 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood

I have troubles starting my car. I have to get it jump-started in order to get it running. The battery in the car is almost new. I installed it about eight months ago. I had it checked anyways along with the alternator. Both check out fine. The car runs fine until I turn the engine off. When I attempt to restart it, it cannot be started back up, so I have to get it jumped again. What might be causing this?

A: Hi! The first thing to check is that the ba...

Hi! The first thing to check is that the battery cables are clean and tight and not corroded. They should be tight enough that you can not move those connections by hand. Check both at the battery and down where they connect at the starter and ground to the engine block. If the cables, ends, or connections look "iffy" at all, the high resistance in those connections can be enough to prevent enough amperage from reaching your starter. When you add another battery (by using jumper cables) it provides more amperage and overcomes the extra resistance in your Cadillac's starter circuit. I would have your battery tested again by someone else using a different tester. If it passes, then you can call it good. Then I would put a starter on it. Best of luck!