Q: car not starting

My 2008 Chevy Express 1500 won’t start after I park and listening to the radio for a while. I tried to start my car, but it didn’t start. Could it be the ignition switch or a faulty starter? Could the battery have run down, from listening to the radio? I tried to jump start it, and it didn’t work. There was no clicking sound and the engine didn't turn over. It was like the turn of the key wasn’t engaging the starter. All of the indicator lights came on. I had my starter installed at the local repair shop about 2 months ago. The first one they installed wasn’t any good. What could be the problem?

Hello! It is likely that you did drain your battery quite significantly when listening to the radio. There are some batteries that are unable to receive a charge again once they become very low. I suggest removing the battery and charging it with an industrial charger. After attempting to charge, it will tell you if the battery is good or not.

Also, I recommend having a technician (such as the ones at Your Mechanic) test the alternator and the starter. If the alternator is not supplying sufficient charge or the starter is drawing too much current this would drain the battery as well.

Feel free to contact a certified technician who can perform these checks and properly diagnose your cars starting problem. Once this is done, the proper repairs can be made in order to get your car running normally again.