Q: Car not starting

I took my car to the dealership for a recall notice. While there, they could not get it started and had to realign the ignition. After a few months my car will no longer start. The starter checks out fine.

A: Hello. If the vehicle cranks and doesn’t st...

Hello. If the vehicle cranks and doesn’t start and you have checked the basics (battery, starter, etc.), the problem may be the electronic driveway protection system (EWS). This system is designed to prevent the vehicle from starting without an authorized key. If the EWS doesn’t detect a valid key, it will prevent starter operation. When the ignition switch is turned on, power flows to the EWS module through the starter motor. It sounds as though the dealer aligned the EWS module. This may need to be done again and you may also need to replace the vehicle keys. Of course, the problem could also be the ignition switch. A trained technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your non-start issue firsthand.