Q: Car not starting due to clutch

My car will not turn over when I attempt to start it. I am 99 percent sure that the plastic stop, that the clutch safety switch pushes against, has disintegrated from age. I think the interlock doesn't think the clutch is being depressed when starting. I need someone to replace the plastic stop, which I have, or to bypass the switch.

A: The switch is there for safety reasons and ...

The switch is there for safety reasons and should under no circumstances be bypassed. It keeps the car from starting if the clutch pedal isn't being stepped on. The last thing you want it for you or someone else to crank the car while it is in gear and not be stepping on the clutch. The car would start jumping forward with every revolution of the engine and once it starts it would just start going forward. Try giving YourMechanic a call. One of their technicians should be able to replace the clutch safety switch for you and get you back on the road quickly.