Q: Car not on, wipers/horn sounded, smoke and fire started

My car was parked and sitting in the driveway, not turned on. Suddenly the wipers and the horn started sounding. I rushed outside and tried to disable them. From behind the dashboard on the passenger’s side, smoke started billowing out. I could smell an electrical short. Following the smoke came flames and by the time the firemen arrived, the entire dashboard area had caught fire. What caused this to happen?

A: Hello. Wow, that’s sounds like a scary situ...

Hello. Wow, that’s sounds like a scary situation. If anything aftermarket has been added to this vehicle, then that may be the problem. Many people do not know the right way to add electronics to this kind of car. If the vehicle is stock, then it is almost always a failure in the blower circuit for the HVAC. It is usually the blower control module or the blower motor itself. You need to get BMW of North America involved in this unless you are going through your insurance for this.