Q: Car not moving when in drive

When I put my car in reverse it is actually in park. When I put my car in gear and start driving, it stops, but it is still running.

A: The shift linkage in the steering will wear...

The shift linkage in the steering will wear over time which will cause it to either break in the column and/or comes loose on the bottom of the steering column. The column will have to be checked to see which part is loose or broken. I recommend having a certified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, come and check why your car is not engaging the transmission when shifting from park.