Q: Car not moving when in drive

When I put my car in reverse it is actually in park. When I put my car in gear and start driving, it stops, but it is still running.

The shift linkage in the steering will wear over time which will cause it to either break in the column and/or comes loose on the bottom of the steering column. The column will have to be checked to see which part is loose or broken. I recommend having a certified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, come and check why your car is not engaging the transmission when shifting from park.