Q: Car not going into gear after starting

The car starts, but will not go into gear. I have to turn off the car and put it into first. When I start it this way, the car jumps.

A: Is your car a manual transmission? From you...

Is your car a manual transmission? From your description it sounds like part of the clutch system has failed in your vehicle. Your clutch itself may have failed or it may just be a problem with the hydraulic system that controls the clutch. If the hydraulic system fails you will not be able to disengage the clutch so when you start the car will try to move and it will not be possible to shift gears as well. I would have a professional mechanic come and diagnose why your clutch is not working.