Q: Car making grinding noise

Whenever I shift my car into first gear, the car doesn't go anywhere. The car just makes a grinding noise like the clutch is going out.

It sounds like your clutch is not releasing completely. Even though you are pushing the pedal in, the clutch disc is continuing to turn on the transmission input shaft. This could be caused by a number of transmission and clutch components. A defective slave/master cylinder or a worn clutch disc are two of the most likely items. A trained mechanic will be able to inspect the vehicle’s grinding noise first to be certain what is causing the problem.