Q: Hyundai - hard to put in gear and odd noise

When I first start the car after it's been sitting overnight it doesn't make any noises when I shift into any gear, but after the car has been running for 10-15 minutes, if I shift the car into 3rd gear it makes a squishing/grinding type of noise, kind of like when a rocking chair squeaks but it's fast and it's very loud, and you can feel it when you shift too. If I park the car and say run into the grocery store and then come back out and put it in reverse it makes the same noise. Sometimes it'll make the noise in 4th, but it's much quieter. I don't have any trouble getting it into 3rd, it just makes noises, it's hard to put it in reverse though and it makes that noise. Also, if I'm sitting in traffic and I'm stopped at a light and go to shift into first it seems very reluctant to shift into first and it's very difficult to shift into. Would it be my bushings or is something on my clutch/flywheel/fork breaking?

Thank you, Mason

A: Hello - I suspect the pilot bearing in your...

Hello - I suspect the pilot bearing in your clutch assembly is seizing up. When you press the clutch pedal, this seized bearing tries to keep turning the input shaft to the transmission, even though the clutch has released that shaft. This causes a load on the synchronizers, making it act like the clutch hasn’t disengaged, and difficult to put into gear. The screech is the engine trying to turn a bearing that no longer wants to be turned. I would recommend having the clutch inspected for lack of full disengagement , performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.