Q: Car lurches and then jumps out of gear

After my car lurched and literally jumped out of gear, I went to the mechanic who told me that the code showed the problem was with the transmission range sensor. At a later day I had it replaced. The sensor failed again after only two months. Then I had it replaced again, but not all of the problems were solved. To keep the car shifting and from randomly jumping out of gear, I have to drive in 3rd. This is Very Dangerous! There have been times when I would drive onto a highway and it would jump out of gear and I would nearly get hit before being able to get to a safe area. I have found online forums where this is a known issue with my make/model. It is both a safety problem and a mechanical problem. Can you tell me what will fix my car?

Hi there. Most of the time, this jumping out of gear is caused by the shifter assembly. Part of the assembly breaks internally and keeps the shifter from staying in gear. It can also be a failure in the shift linkage in the transmission, so that needs to be removed and checked for any binding. These checks will usually tell what the problem is. If you need help having this taken care of, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the shifting problem and let you know exactly what is going on.

3. Car lurches and then jumps out of gear