Q: Car loses power while idle, blinkers cause gauge lights to blink

I bought my car used a while ago. Before I bought it, I had them check the computer codes. It was clear. My car is losing RPMs in idle now, and when I turn on my blinkers, all the gauges flash in time with them. The car died shortly after, and I needed a jump to get going. The next day, it started just fine.

A local shop looked my car over, but couldn't find any problems. They replaced the battery, and for two days after that, it ran fine.

Now the blinkers are making the gauge lights blink again. When I turn on my air conditioning, I lose RPMs for a second, but they climb back up. I have a new alternator, and now, a new battery. What could cause this stuff?

Hello. I think you should start by having the alternator that you had installed rechecked to make sure it is working properly. It would be a good idea to have the alternator wiring checked for damage as well. It is also possible that wires, located between the dash and the battery and charging system, have shorted out.

I would suggest that you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the battery and charging system, as well as the wiring going to the dashboard.

3. Car loses power while idle, blinkers cause gauge lights to blink