Q: Car keeps shutting off

Lately, I have noticed that my car shuts off when i am driving and sometimes it will die automatically after starting my car. It does not always happen but it is frequent. I have also noticed my lights have been flickering randomly at times. No warning lights have turned on though, could this be my alternator going out? How can I check to be sure.

A: Hello there, many faults can cause your 199...

Hello there, many faults can cause your 1999 Honda Civic to shut off while driving. Noticing the lights going on is a great call as this narrows down possible causes. The most common would be a problem with the alternator, battery cable, battery, wiring harness fault, or voltage regulator. To check the output of the alternator, a load test is performed that tests the output of the alternator while it is running. A qualified technician from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your car shutting off problem and make any repairs required.