Q: Car is using more oil than it should

My car is using more oil than what I think should be necessary. I’m working on changing the fuel filter and fuel pump myself. Initially I looked for an ‘oil’ pump, but it turns out that it’s the ‘Fuel’ pump that everyone keeps telling me that needs to be changed. I can’t seem to find a book on changing fuel pumps and having someone do it would cost 10 times more than just buying one and learning to do it myself. Would you be able to give me details on how to do it or direct me to the information that would teach me?

Hi! The fuel filter on your Prizm is located inside the fuel tank and is part of the fuel level sensor assembly and the fuel pump. It’s a pretty messy and is about a 7 out of 10 in the repair difficulty scale.

If you’re willing to tackle the repair I would suggest purchasing a Chilton’s or Haynes manual from your local parts store. That will give you all the information you need when replacing your fuel filter plus a lot great additional information, tutorials and, tips.

I agree it would be cheaper for when one does it themselves. However, if you feel like you need assistance with this, reach out to a qualified mechanic who can come to you and replace the fuel filter at your own convenience. While the technician works you are more than welcome to watch to help broaden your mechanical knowledge.

3. Car is using more oil than it should