Q: Car is stalling - 1997 Honda Civic

I have always kept up with maintenance on the cat but I don't drive it much. Alternator just went so I had a new one installed, along with a new battery and belts. Drive the car 50 miles today. It started off great but towards end of trip it started stalling when I stopped at a red light. As I slowed down, the rpm would drop to zero and car would stall. No check engine light came on and car would start right up when I turned key in ignition. Again, only happened when car was warm. Any ideas as to what is going on?

This may be a sign of a dirty or failing idle air control valve. This is a unit in the intake system that monitors the air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the motor. When this is not working properly, it can cause an imbalance in the air/fuel ratio supplied to the motor which may cause rough idling and stalling due to over-fueling or under-fueling the motor.

I would recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine why the car is stalling.

3. Car is stalling - 1997 Honda Civic