Q: Car is making a rattling while running but no noise when wheels are in the process of turning

While driving or idling a rattling noise comes from the engine compartment but disappears while turning. Was told it was a bad power steering pump but the car steers fine. Haven't had a chance to thoroughly inspect the car yet , just wondering is anyone has had this issue to get a lead as to where to look first...thanks

Have the noise inspected when the engine is idling to see if it is from the power steering pump or the belt to the pump is loose. Sometimes the belt will make noise until pressure is put on the belt and then the noise goes away. Try to spray the belt with some silicone spray or something like WD-40 to see if the noise seems to lessen or go away. If it goes away then have belt tightened or replaced if it has cracks. If the noise did not go away and only goes away when you turn the wheels, then the pump pressure valve is making the noise in the power steering pump and the pump would need to be replaced. I recommend having a technician look at the car in person for a proper diagnosis of the car’s rattling issue. From there, they will be able to conduct the proper repairs.

• Car is making a rattling while running but no noise when wheels are in the process of turning