Q: Car is having transmission issues (I think)

I change gears and disengage the clutch. Then I start to accelerate but if I put moderate pressure on the pedal (not pedal to the floor) my Mustang will rev to 3k rpm then drop back to about 2.1k rpm. As soon as it drops back to 2.1k it's as if it got its missing power and gets going faster than when it was at 3k. Meaning my Mustang was still applying power to the tires when it jumped to 3k. It stays at 3k for about 2 seconds and then drops to 2.1k. I don't think it's the clutch. Or could it??? Please help!!!

If after switching gears, the engine RPM’s are rising but the vehicle is not accelerating, but after a moment you do feel acceleration albeit at a point where the RPM’s are lower, that sounds like the clutch is slipping during that brief "interval". In other words, it sounds to me as if you are not describing the engine as bogging down (feeling under excessive load) once you release the clutch but rather the engine speed IS increasing in the higher gear but without accompanying acceleration in vehicle speed. That is a slipping clutch. However, a lot can get lost in the translation. A manual transmission specialist from YourMechanic would need to examine the situation first hand and could then make quick work of a diagnostic on your clutch system. Feel free to follow up with YourMechanic to schedule an inspection and get this resolved for you. If you have additional questions or concerns please re-contact as well.

3. Car is having transmission issues (I think)