Q: Car is giving me problems.

Drives fine at cold start , after the vehicle gets warm it starts showing me problems , after shifting from 3rd gear the rpm goes up, makes an engine noise and doesn't respond to acceleration, then jerks as if something is getting back in place. And sometimes it feels like if the car is loosing power and goes into limp mode .Also after the car is warm it jerks bad when I move the selector from reverse to drive . Are all of these issues related ? My car has 160000 miles. My car has an automatic transmission.

This may be a sign of a faulty ignition coil. Ignition coils are coated with a varnish-like insulation that becomes brittle over time after being stretched then contracted repeatedly. The insulation develops small fractures that open when heated and close when cooled. When open, they allow shorting of coil windings and decrease or eliminate the coil’s ability to function. This type of temperature cycling happens because every time you shut the engine off, the fan stops running, the coolant stops flowing and the temperature under the hood rises. Every time you start the engine again the coolant flows, the fans turn on, and the temperature drops. When this heat dissipates and is absorbed under the hood, it is trapped causing this cycling effect. Other components that contain heat sensitive materials include parts like fuel injectors, igniters, and some sensors. Any of these may be potentially subject to this same kind of heat cycling problem which can be very difficult to trace. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle.

3. Car is giving me problems.