Q: Car is blowing smoke and lacks power - 1996 Mazda B2500

My Bravo turbo diesel doesn’t have much power when going up a hill and it blows smoke out of the exhaust pipes. Do you know what could be causing this?

A: Hi there. This sounds like a failure of a t...

Hi there. This sounds like a failure of a turbo-charger seal on the exhaust pipe side of the turbocharger. This seal normally holds oil, under pressure, needed to lubricate the turbocharger bearing(s). If the seal fails, the oil leaks into the still very hot exhaust pipe, hence the smoke. It is also possible that the reduced oil pressure has caused some damage to the turbocharger reducing power from the engine. The turbocharger should either be rebuilt or replaced. For help having this repaired, a certified pro from YourMechanic can inspect the loss of power and the smoke issue in order to have this corrected.