Q: Car in shop three times for major fuel leaks

My car has been in the auto repair shop twice before and now in a third time for a major fuel leak. Each time has been for a different type of leak. The replacement parts were ordered from Mercedes and the repair done by a local auto repair shop. The mechanic has told me that the diesel leaks are a common thing in this make/model. This newest leak is the first time that I’ve ever had this type of leak out of these three Mercedes diesels. This is definitely a fire hazard. Can you tell me what I can do in order to stop having these major fuel leaks?

Hi there. Due to the age of the vehicle, the lines will commonly rot out causing this. Due to the fact that there is fuel in these lines, this accelerates their deterioration. The only way to prolong the life of the lines is to have then routinely inspected to prevent leaks; but you also should use fuel additives to prevent build up inside of the lines which causes them to fail. If you would like to have this looked at, a certified professional from YourMechanic can inspect the fuel leaks in person and let you know what can be done.

3. Car in shop three times for major fuel leaks