Q: Car idling really high and stalling

My car idles really high and stalls when I put my vehicle into drive or press the accelerator. I think it might be a carburetor issue.

Hi, Yes, the carburetor could have an issue in the choke linkage which would keep the choke open more than normal. The choke helps the engine warm up by keeping the throttle plate open and allowing more air into the engine, thus raising the idle speed. If damaged or at the wrong setting it might be letting too much air flow into the engine. A certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, would be able to inspect the carburetor, make sure that the fast idle adjustment screw is at the proper setting and see if there are any other issues that are causing your car to stall.

3. Car idling really high and stalling