Q: Car idles when shifted into any gear when foot is removed from clutch

My Hondas engine still starts up and runs but the car is undrivable. So I ended up bleeding my clutch today... she'll move some what now. Just don't know what else is wrong with her. Like I have resistance in my clutch pedal now but I can put my foot on the clutch put it in first gear remove my foot from the clutch(no gas) and she just sits and idles... does the same thing in 2nd gear. She'll move if i rev her high but not very much. When I put her in reverse she'll backup but there is a strange noise that comes about when I do so. What else should I be looking at?

A: Hi there. This sounds like you have a faile...

Hi there. This sounds like you have a failed clutch disc or pressure plate. The clutch disc provides the frictional surface for the flywheel and pressure plate to grab and move the vehicle. The input shaft of the transmission is engaged by the clutch disc when the pressure plate is allowed to apply pressure against the disc forcing it to make contact with the flywheel; the friction and wearable part of the disc provide the smoother transition of power from the engine to the transmission. If the disc is severely worn, it may slip or not engage. What sounds like has happened is the disc is severely worn and unable to properly engage- which is why the vehicle will move some, when the engine is revved. The other possibility is that the pressure plate has failed and is no longer applying adequate pressure to keep the clutch disc engaged. Either one will require the replacement of the components as a set. YourMechanic has several technicians available that can assist you with a car does not move inspection and provide and estimate and direction of repair. Unfortunately, YourMechanic does not offer clutch replacement services at this time.