Q: Car idles when I slow down

I purchased a diagnostic for this, but my mechanic didn't even test drive the car to see what was wrong. He basically checked my fluid levels and left. When I slow down at a stop sign or to turn my car completely shuts itself off. Ever since this started happening I've been hearing a loud "clanking" from inside the engine. I want to know what's wrong so I can just get someone to come out and fix it since apparently diagnostics are useless. EDIT: I just found the "media" section of the report and he mentioned that the sound could be a cam bearing or a "something" chain (couldn't hear the audio). Does anyone know what that chain might be and if replacing either of these will fix my problem? And would Yourmechanic fix these problems?

Hello. There are 6 possible engine sizes you may have and it would help to know the size to help with the diagnosis. The chain is the timing chain the technician was speaking of. The camshaft bearings would require the engine oil pan removal to replace the bearings. If the cam bearings are bad then the crankshaft and rod bearings may be bad also. I would suggest the engine rebuilt or the engine replaced with a rebuilt one. You can also call and talk to the technician that checked you vehicle to get details of the problems found. The technician did not drive the vehicle due to the engine noise he heard did not require one to diagnose the noise. Call to get details.

3. Car idles when I slow down