Q: Car I'm looking to buy is running on 3 cyliders instead of 4. What does it mean?

I went to look at a car for sale and its running on3 cycliders instead of 4

Hello. When one cylinder is not performing its job, it basically creates a drag or extra load on the engine. This can be a sign of major engine damage, or something as simple as a bad spark plug. Typically smaller issues like the plugs are fixed by the current owner to upsell the vehicle.

Check to make sure you have spark available at all plugs, and that the plugs are in good condition. Fuel injectors can stop combustion from occurring, these can be trickier to diagnose. Compression tests may also need to take place to establish the cylinder is capable of combustion. I’d advise you to take precaution if purchasing this vehicle.

I would highly suggest having a mechanic do a pre-purchase inspection to give you an overall assessment of the vehicle so you’ll be able to make an educated and informed purchase.

3. Car I'm looking to buy is running on 3 cyliders instead of 4. What does it mean?