Q: Car horn problem

My car horn is not working. I did a horn diagnostics and the recommendation is to replace horn relay and horn assembly. I do not want to spend more than $80 on it. Any recommendation?

I seldom use the horn. I only need it to pass my Virginia state inspection.

Hey there. In addition to being a requirement for motor vehicle inspection in every state, the horn is obviously a huge safety component. By all means, you should try to get this working correctly. It is somewhat unusual for a horn to fail, simply because they are not used often - as you mentioned.

Check the horn fuse first, then for power to the horn relay, and on the output side of the relay. Horns can become water damaged however, so if you can determine from your electrical checking that power is getting to the horn, without an audible response, then you will need to replace it.

If you are still having trouble figuring out the horn, a certified technician from YourMechanic can diagnose the problem and follow up with repairs.

3. Car horn problem