Q: Car having problem starting and overheating

My car is having problems starting I just recently brought a new battery and still need to get a jump at first I thought it could be my alternator but it starts sometimes on its own. And as far as overheating I changed my thermostat but its still overheating how do I know if it my radiator or my water pump.

A: This may be related potentially to a bad vo...

This may be related potentially to a bad voltage regulator. The responsibility of the voltage regulator is to keep the alternator from over or under charging the battery and to maintain the battery at a specific charge. When this is not working properly, you may experience fluctuation in the battery level charge. Regarding the overheating, this may be caused by a few different things such as a faulty thermostat (which we can rule out since you just changed it), a clogged radiator, a leaking water pump or potentially faulty coolant fan switches. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your car to determine the cause of the starting and overheating issue.