Q: Car having electrical problems

My car is having electrical issues. The battery is overheating and burning out.

A: Hi. The charge of an automotive battery is ...

Hi. The charge of an automotive battery is maintained by the alternator which generates electricity by means of the drive belt and has a voltage regulator to control it’s activity. The voltage regulator can fail in a couple of ways. The alternator can stop charging the battery all together and drain the battery while the vehicle is in use. On the other hand, if the voltage regulator is stuck in a position that does not limit the alternator, the voltage can rise above safe levels and overcharge the battery. Overcharging can severely damage a battery. Have the battery inspected by an experienced technician, like one from YourMechanic, to further assist you in finding the problem.