Q: Car has general issues

Recently I bought a car that had its fourth gear missing from the transmission. I understood that and drove accordingly. However, recently it has been smoking when idling and even when driving to the point that the cab of the car smells like the smoke. Also it is having issues accelerating below 4th gear and seems to have a hitch whenever I try to drive it. It stalled today as it overheated in traffics. I have no idea what it could be, and I'm thinking it's a myriad of issues.

A: This may be related to many different issue...

This may be related to many different issues. The smoking may be caused by an oil leak or potentially a blown head gasket (this would be noticed by overheating as well), or possibly worn pistons rings causing the engine to burn oil. Without additional detail as to the make and model of your car and it's engine, it may be difficult to diagnose properly without seeing and inspecting the car. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at the car to properly diagnose the shifting and smoke issue.