Q: Car has chirping sound possibly from the belt

I purchased my car used. There has been a loud chirping noise for the past week. At first, I thought it might be the belt that needed replacing, so I went to the dealership. They said they couldn’t hear any chirping. I had washed my car the day before seeing them. They told me that washing it cleaned the belts and got rid of the noise. They looked at me as if I were wasting their time. Today… the chirping is back and fairly loud. I’m concerned that if I take it back they won’t hear it and think I’m an idiot. Can you please tell me what could be causing this? Thanks.

That sounds like a horrible experience. Instead of making another appointment with them, have another mechanic come and replace the belt or at least check it out for you. The noise can be due to a dried out and cracked belt. The dealer may not replace any part unless they can duplicate the problem first. If you have not replaced the belt in a few years, then have the belt replaced and have the tensioner pulley checked and replaced if needed. If you need help with this, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the noise and help you move forward with repairs.

3. Car has chirping sound possibly from the belt