Q: Car has been shutting down for 9 months

For about nine months, my car has been shutting off. First, I replaced a couple of ignition coils and it ran fine until about 2 weeks ago. There has been some sputtering, but it is hard to detect it. I had thought I might have imagined it because it happened so quickly. One day, I had to go back inside the house, so I left it idling and it turned off. I started it and started driving. I got ½ way from my destination and it shut off. I hit on the ignition coils and then it would start before quitting again. Some other details: somewhere there is a leak or evaporation, the radiator was low. Daily, I have to add water. The day after filling it up with water, it broke down, but drove home fine. An additional time (to the 2 coils mentioned above) I replaced 2 ignition coils (that’s twice in 9 months) and everything has been fine since. But it goes through the whole problem again if I don’t put water in the radiator, plus problems with the ignition coils. I also can’t find the leak. Please tell me what I’m doing right and what I’m doing wrong and what is your advice. Thank you.

Hello! Since you can hit the coil packs and it will start up, this leads me to believe the issue is directly related to the coil pack or the ignition module. Since you just had your coil packs replaced we can eliminate that for now.

However, what is directly under the coil pack is known as the ignition module. The ignition modules are known to become faulty as well because they’re subject to lots of heat, dirt, grease, and vibration. Hitting the coil packs could cause an intermittent ignition module problem to disappear momentarily.

I would suggest to have a technician test the ignition module with a multimeter and clean it from any dirt or grease. A faulty ignition module could be the reason that you are replacing the coil packs so often. If The radiator is getting low and you don’t see any external leaks you may have an internal leak with one of your intake manifold gaskets. If you have an intake manifold leak it is possible that the coolant is leaking internally and it’s becoming evaporated by the engine heat.

I’d recommend getting some assistance from a certified mechanic who can run the necessary tests to diagnose the cause of your stalling issue. once the problem is pinpointed, an accurate repair can then be made to get your car running normally again.