Q: Car hard to start initially

A diagnostic gev me error code P0171. It stalls or hesitates to start unless I give it gas. When initially cranking, it starts, but after a few seconds it stalls. Once running though, it stays on.

A: Unfortunately there could be a variety of r...

Unfortunately there could be a variety of reasons as to why your Nissan is experiencing these symptoms and displaying the code P0171. This code stands for System too Lean, meaning the computer is reading unmetered air in the system. A faulty Mass Airflow Sensor, a vacuum leak or even a failing oxygen sensor can duplicate the same symptoms your Maxima is experiencing. To be 100% certain this is the problem however, it may be time to enlist the assistance of a certified mechanic to come by and diagnose your Maxima in person. Once there, they will have the tools needed to identify the source of your Nissan’s symptoms with starting and make the repairs necessary to get your Maxima running smooth again.