Q: Car hard to start and keep running.

Car won't start and won't run for long when I do get it started.

A car not starting can be a frustrating experience. There are several different reasons as to why your Oldsmobile Silhouette is having difficulties starting. As a certified mechanic, the first investigation I would do is to see if this problem is fuel related. This could be due to low fuel, a clogged fuel filter or possibly a failing fuel pump. Next, I would look over the ignition control module, which controls the ignition coils that provide spark to the spark plugs, as this is another possible failure that will need to be replaced. I have also seen very dirty Air Filters that will basically choke the engine (prevent air/oxygen from getting into the engine) and thus duplicate the similar behavior you are experiencing.

On top of those observations, there are also several electrical sensors that may come into play with the car not starting. To track down exactly why your car isn’t starting, it’s best to enlist a certified mechanic to look over and diagnose your car starting problem properly. Only then can you get a secure answer to get both you and your Silhouette back on the road.