Q: Car dropping into low 2 by itself

My car drops from drive to low 2 all by itself with top speeds of 40 MPH and high RPMs.

Automatic transmissions have a fail-safe mode. If certain electrical parts, such as speed sensors or actuators set a trouble code, the computer does not have the ability to shift without the input of that part. The fail-safe mode, or limp mode will put the transmission in a predetermined gear until the problem is fixed. The Check Engine Light will be on to inform you of this. The code will be stored even if the light goes out and the transmission returns to normal.

3. Car dropping into low 2 by itself