Q: Car drives and then dies

My car will drive for awhile and then die. It cranks back up but then dies again quickly. After changing the thermostat, antifreeze started leaking out.

A: For the stalling problem, this could be a n...

For the stalling problem, this could be a number of things, but I would start with the easiest and work your way up to the hardest. The first thing that comes to mind is the battery or alternator may be bad. If the battery and alternator are not sending enough power to run the ignition system it may run for a few minutes then die. You will probably notice some other things going on with the electrical system like dash lights coming on and flickering. I would recommend having a technician come out from YourMechanic and inspecting the cars battery and charging system. If that is not the problem they can go down the list to the fuel system. A technician can check fuel pressure and determine if the fuel pump may be going bad or the fuel filter needs replacing. I recommend having the stalling issue properly diagnosed by a certified mechanic.

As for the coolant leaking, a technician can determine where it is leaking from. It may be leaking from where the hoses were put back on after the thermostat was replaced. Sometimes the hose clamps need to be replaced because they no longer provide a snug fit for the hoses.