Q: Car doesn't start.

I bought a used car.

Ran fine, and I didn't see any cosmetic defects. I looked at the engine and didn't see any disconnected bits (that's about where my mechanical skills end).

I took it to a full-service place and they looked at the usual non-engine stuff. Found some things, but nothing super major there either. Well, except a control arm that should get replaced soon-ish.

Anyways, I took it home and then saved up money for car insurance.

I let it sit in the parking lot for like 20-25 days without moving it (bad, I know), some of those days being down to single-digit temperatures.

Now, the car no longer turns over. the clock and display come on, but when I try to jump it there is NO turning of the engine what-so-ever.

I didn't SEE any fuel from a leaky carburetor (though that doesn't rule it out).

The battery light is on.

Do you think it could be a bad motor-starter?

Prior to performing diagnostics be sure you have a fully charged battery installed that passes a load test. Then, confirm that the engine immobilizer system (security system) is not activated thus preventing the car from starting. If there is no starter motor operation at all, that is if there is no starter operation with the key held in the "start" position, the procedure is to test for power to the starter motor. If there is no power, then the electrical circuit supplying the motor has a fault. That circuit begins at the battery and includes grounds, wiring (some of which is very heavy cabling), fuses, relays, the ignition switch and terminations. Basically, with a fully charged battery, and with the key held in the "start" position, the starter is either getting power or it isn’t. With the key in the "start" position, if the starter motor is getting power but the starter doesn’t work, then the starter is condemned and replaced. On the other hand, with the key in the "start" position, if there is no power to the starter, then the circuit is traced until the fault in the circuit is found. In addition to a faulty ignition switch, faults can include high resistances, due to corrosion, wire strand breaks, or loose terminals, which can only be diagnosed using a voltage drop test. If you desire that a certified mechanic resolve this, please simply request a no start diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get the problem diagnosed and repaired for you. Please let us know if you have further concerns or questions as we are always here to help you.

Hello, and thank you for writing in. When the battery completely fails, it will not complete the circuit or allow the vehicle to start. Considering the circumstances you should start by replacing the battery. If this fails to start the vehicle, then you can look at having the starter replaced or tested. Also make sure your battery terminals and it’s ground connection are clean, dry, and tight. For more help resolving the issue, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.