Q: Car doesn't drive when cold

Hi I have a 2003 ford galaxy. It's an automatic and when the engine is cold it doesn't drive. Once warmed up it drives but is very slow going through the first few gears and it revs. Iv been told it's the clutch by 1 person and another said it just needs transmission fluid and filter change. Iv been trying to find the parts for both jobs and can't find an automatic clutch. Are they the same as a manual? Or called something different? Thanks in advance Emma.

A: Usually mechanics make the mistake in refer...

Usually mechanics make the mistake in referring to things that might confuse a car owner. In an automatic transmission there is a torque converter, which is comprised of multiple components including t a turbine, an impeller, a stator, and a lock-up clutch. This is the component that they are probably referring to as needing repair or replacement.

However, if the transmission fluid and filter has never been replaced or flushed, it can display similar symptoms as you're describing. It would be a good idea to contact one of our local ASE certified mechanics to start with servicing your transmission fluid and filter to see if that clears up your issues.