Q: Car doesn't always start in Park but then will start in Neutral..the dealer says it needs new starter..

They says it is not the neutral switch and it only starts in neutral when it doesn't start in park in just a coincident..they say it needs a new starter but hate to spend that money while it starts so far in neutral..What may be the problem ( other than the starter issue)

Hello - if your starter successfully cranks the engine in Neutral, but not in Park, the starter itself is likely just fine. The problem is with the "Neutral Safety Switch", sometime called a range selector switch. This is the component that ensures you are either in Neutral or Park to start the engine. It has likely failed, since it is not recognizing the shifter being in the Park position. I would recommend replacing the Neutral Safety Switch by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

• Car doesn't always start in Park but then will start in Neutral..the dealer says it needs new starter..