Q: Car does not move when I step on the gas

On the road 2 miles car just went from 40 to 5 miles

Hello, There are a couple of things that can cause this to happen such as low transmission fluid or potentially a faulty throttle position sensor. If the car is low on transmission fluid, this can cause the car not to move due to a lack of sufficient hydraulic pressure required in the transmission to cause it to shift correctly. As you may know, automatic transmissions use pressurized hydraulic fluid to change gears. Every time a gear change is required, the car’s computer activates a transmission solenoid, which directs transmission fluid into what is known as a valve body to engage the correct gear. When this is faulty or not working properly, this can cause a delay in gear shifting or in some cases cause the car to not shift at all. This type of problem is amplified any time the transmission is low on fluid creating a drop in hydraulic pressure.

The throttle position sensor monitors the throttle position of the throttle plate inside the throttle body in relation to your foot position on the gas pedal. Based upon the inputs from the sensor reading your foot’s position on the pedal, the ECU then makes the direction to supply more or less fuel to the motor. When this sensor is not working properly, this can cause intermittent responses when pressing the gas pedal. I would suggest having a professional from Your Mechanic come to you home to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. Car does not move when I step on the gas