Q: Car does not get to normal engine temperature

so at first my car overheated with water pouring out of the water bottle. steam and all. the car stood for a night. put in water, same thing happens. leave the car for half a day. put in water in the water bottle. also the housing that comes form the radiator to the engine, i poured water in there. now the car wont heat up properly. heat gauge only goes up one quarter when driving. when i stop it rises to halfway which is my normal then the fan turns on and it drops back to a quarter again which is 70 degrees Celsius. i also noticed that the water in the water bottle rises quite high but not to the point where it boils out. water just rises but seems calm. the thermostat and water pump with the fan switch was replaced a few months ago. what can this be?

Hi there:

There could be multiple issues causing your engine to not reach normal operating temperature. However, continuing to add water instead of coolant to your motor could be very harmful; especially to cooling hoses, connections and cooling system components. The coolant should be mixed at a 50% water to coolant ratio. In order to determine why your engine overheated in the first place and why it’s temperature is low now, the best thing to do is have a professional mechanic complete an engine is leaking coolant inspection. This will allow them to inspect your cooling system for issues and recommend the right repairs.