Q: Car dies when the engine is cold but works fine after it warms up

When I turn on my car when the engine is cold, the engine dies immediately. I have to press the gas pedal multiple times in order to keep it from dying. I have to do this for at least 10 minutes until the car warms up. Also, when I come to a stop or a red light, while press down on the break, my car shakes a lot. Thanks for the help.

A: Hello. Your issue is very likely the idle a...

Hello. Your issue is very likely the idle air control valve, or related components. After continuous use for years, these valves become clogged with carbon and other build-up. The valve can be cleaned. You can use a carburetor cleaner, or similar solvent to help dislodge some of the debris. This would be sprayed into your air intake. Keep in mind what is passed through must be consumed by the engine, and it may act funny during that process. You can also have the entire unit replaced. This would be recommended for any damage to the unit that wasn't related to a simple clog. If there is a short in the system, or the valve has failed, you would likely experience more dramatic symptoms.