Q: Car dies two miles

My car starts up just fine everyday. But when I drive down the road for 2 miles it stops dead in the road. I haven’t tried fixing anything yet, because I am not sure where to start. Can you please give me some ideas on how to fix my car? Thank you.

A: Hello. It is possible that there is an issu...

Hello. It is possible that there is an issue with your 2005 GMC Safari's alternator in that it may not be charging properly. This normally leads to the battery dying, which will prevent the engine from starting. Another possibility is that the catalytic converter is clogged, and once it gets hot enough the engine shuts off. There may also be an issue with the fuel system shutting down. Some other components that may cause a car to start fine before dying down are the mass airflow sensor, fuel pump relay, and ignition coil. Have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, complete an inspection to pinpoint why your car starts and then dies.