Q: Car died, battery light came on, cranked it and it started then died and everything went dead. 1985 Ford LTD

I replaced ignition switch, it needed replacing several years ago. New positive cable. I used jumper cables using the negative end on the neg terminal and the other neg on the A.C. brace, it cranks, but that is all. It does not do anything else or even sound like it wants to turn over. I have a new neg cable. Could the Altenator be fried?

A: Hello. A no start condition can be caused b...

Hello. A no start condition can be caused by many things. If the issue only began after the ignition switch was replaced, it may be possible that the issues are related to the switch. If that is the case, I would verify that the switch was installed correctly, and that the switch is not defective.

If the engine is cranking, then the electrical system is likely okay. What's more likely is an issue with the fuel, ignition, or engine management systems. An engine requires fuel and spark in order to run. If there is any issue with any of the vehicle's fuel or ignition system components, such as the pump, ignition coil, ignition module, or any of the associated components, it may prevent the engine from running. I would first check to see if the vehicle is getting fuel and spark, and go from there. For help having this checked, a qualified professional, like one from YourMechanic, can come to the site of your vehicle to diagnose the hard start properly.