Q: Stalling when put into reverse

Car cuts off when I change gears and makes noises when I accelerate. My car sounds like something is flapping under it. It starts right up but stops when I put it in reverse. When it is in reverse and it finally keeps running, it jerks like it wants to cut off. It whines when I'm idle and sometimes sounds like it's scraping when I let off the brake.

Hello. From what you describe it appears that your vehicle may be experiencing more than one issue. If your car is stopping or stalling when put into reverse then that could be a sign of an issue with the transmission or engine management system. If the check engine light is on a A whine at idle could be a sign of an issue with the belts, or perhaps with one of the accessory bearings. A scraping noise when you let off the gas is commonly caused by worn brakes. Usually a scraping sound is an indicator that the brakes have worn excessively thin and may require replacement. If the vehicle is still under warranty I would recommend taking it to a dealership for diagnosis and service, or if not, having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to diagnose the cause of your stalling](https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/car-is-stalling-inspection) and jerking.