Q: Car Cut off when I slow downs or stop

Can a bad fuel filter cause your car to cut off while driving

My car's transmission is unknown to me.

Hi There! It sounds like you may have a dirty or failing idle air control valve causing your engine idle to fluctuate and eventually stall. The idle air control valve is a small valve on the engine’s intake system that reads the air intake as it comes into the motor. This is controlled by the car’s ECM which uses this information to make adjustments to the air/fuel ratio depending on various inputs such as outside air temperature, intake air temperature, load and various other things. As you accelerate, your car’s engine is receiving a much higher dose of fuel than when at idle and conversely, when you let off the gas pedal, there is a sudden change in this fuel supply as a result of your foot letting off the pedal. When this happens, the job of the idle air control valve is to bring this deceleration down to a slow and smooth idle rather than suddenly cutting off the fuel supply causing the motor to die. This is what may be causing it to die when you stop at stop signs or stop lights. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and replace your idle air control valve.