Q: Car cranks but does not start

Car cranks but will not start

There will need to be a few checks that would need to be done to find the problem. First you will need a test light and a friend to help. First have friend turn on and off the key to see if you hear the fuel pump running in the tank.

If you have dual tanks make sure you have fuel in both tanks and see if both pumps make noise. If you hear the fuel pump run then check the engine and find the fuel rail to locate the test port. Have the fuel pressure tested to see if you have pressure.

If you have pressure then use the test light, go to the ignition coil and with key on you will have power to the red wire. Put probe in the other wire and have vehicle cranked to see if light blinks.

If it does not blink then you have a bad ignition module on the distributor and coil most likely. If it does blink then take off coil wire and using test light near post but not touching it crank engine and see if there is spark. If no spark then try a new coil.

A more in-depth diagnosis may be needed for this issue. I’d suggest getting this looked at by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic to help diagnose your starting issue and help you fix it accordingly.