Q: Car cranks a lot, dash lights on, the odometer shows error

I bought this car with 130,000 miles on it. It seems to have engine problems. It cranks a bit more than it should before it could be started up completely. It was the first issue ever since I bought it. The second time that happened, there almost was no cranking. The dashboard has shown check engine light on very soon after that. The light turned off when I cranked the car a bit more. But, the lights on the dash are on again. Also, there is an error on odometer. How can I fix this?

A: Hello. I would start by scanning the comput...

Hello. I would start by scanning the computer for codes first. If the Check Engine Light is on then the computer is seeing a problem. This will be the best place to start as the code will give an indication as to what is going on. I would then monitor the signal from the crank position sensor. This sensor is the most common failure on this vehicle. When it fails, the computer does not properly see an engine speed signal which causes this starting problem. If you need to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your car's starting issue.