Q: Car cranking, but not starting

My car cranks, but won't turn over. I and some others have messed with it to the point that I fear the timing or fuel mixture is off.

Hello, there can be many different causes for this issue. If someone has messed with the mixture screw on the carburetor and have set them too much in the wrong direction, it can cause issues with the car idle. A good starting point is to turn the idle screws clockwise until they stop, and then do two counter clockwise turns with the screws to see if this adjustment improves the condition.

As for the timing, your distributor has several breaker points that should checked. If the condition is good, the dwell or gap should be checked for proper point operation. Now getting the car back into time would require knowing where the TDC (top dead center) on cylinder number one is on the power stroke. You would then check to see if the number one plug is lined up with the rotor. The engine could have a timing chain that slipped and will need to be replaced.

You may need the aid of a mechanic to get all the basics lined up in order to get the car up and running again. If you need more assistance, our mechanics can come to your home or office to diagnose your starting issue and make the necessary repairs to have this issue resolved.

3. Car cranking, but not starting