Q: Car comes on but engine won't start

This morning I turned the key on, but my car wouldn't start. Nothing - no engine sound, nothing! I turned the wheel and shake the shift, but nothing. So I called a friend to pick me up for work and before he arrived, I decided to try one more time -- it started!! But I didn't drive to work because I'm concerned I'd get stuck somewhere. Will this happen again?

A: Most likely - vehicles don't often fix ...

Most likely - vehicles don't often fix themselves. A vehicle that cranks but doesn't start indicates a problem with fuel or spark delivery. This could be anything from a failed crank position sensor to a bad fuel pump. On the other hand, a vehicle that doesn't crank and doesn't start indicates a problem with starting system. This could be something like a bad starter or loose battery cables. A trained professional, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your starting issue and let you know what needs repair.