Q: Car burns blue or white smoke

My car is burning blue or white smoke when it starts in the morning. I was told it is a leaky valve stem seal, and the mechanic recommended not repairing it.

If your engine burns oil only at startup, then valve stem seals are likely the cause. Repairing the issue is recommended as it will only get worse with time. The mechanic that told you that may have discouraged the repair due to the fact that it may cost more to repair than the car is worth, or that its not bad enough to justify a repair at this time. YourMechanic has qualified technicians that can help inspect and diagnose your smoke issue.