Q: Car battery was installed backwards - 2005 Scion xA

By accident, I installed my new battery in backwards. There was a spark so I immediately removed the cables. The fuses near the driver’s seat are all out (wiper, windows, radio, etc). However, the fuse under the hood still works. My car will start, but it won’t come out of park. The brake lights and tail lights won’t come on either. What do you suggest I do?

Hello. The transmission is locked out of gear because the car doesn’t "know" your foot is on the brake. You need to change the other fuses and get those brake lights working again, and then when the brake safety switch circuit is complete, it should come out of park. If you need to have this looked at, a qualified pro from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the system and follow through with the correct repairs.

3. Car battery was installed backwards - 2005 Scion xA